Thursday, August 24, 2006

No moose, but beavers in Algonquin Park


I had thought eastern Canada would have looked like western Canada. I have never been there, but I know a bit what the rockies and the pine forests look like. But it doesn't. It looks like FInland, although I have never been in Finland either, but still...

There are many lakes in Canada. In the beginning of the trip we were really in awe when we saw a lake. After a week or so, we didn't even stop to watch. We didn't even watch. However, I had planned a visit to the Algonquin park and to the Huron Lake region, so we would have to see Lake life at any cost.

THe algonquin park is a vast park that you bascially should discover by cano. We only stayed on the highway and did two walking trails that are very well indicated. The first walk brought us to a beaver pond and after waiting a while we did see some beaver in the distance. Thank god my sis brought her binoculars, cos I would have thought it was just a duck. The second trail brought us to a river flowing into the lakes, nice and all, but nature walks are just not my cup of tea. Respect for pepole who want to walk with their backpack through the woods and then camp along the river. I don't say I'm never going to do that, but if i want to walk in a forest I can do that in Wallonia too.

The view over the Lake in the park however was awesome. We sat more than an hour just watching the lake. There's also an interesting visitor center in the park, which gives more information about the animals you might encounter during your stay. But like i wrote before, we saw a lot of dead animals on the highway but no live one. We even waited until dusk in order to maybe see moose, but no. We have seen so many dead racoons that my sister made the correct remark that she could have made a fur coat out of it for free if we just picked them up along the way. However, i don't think customs would love that idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home