Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Maine Lobster Burn

The idea was to spend a day and a half on the south coast of Maine, but with the whole flight cancellation, our Maine visit was reduced to the marvelous art student city of Portland. I loved that place so much last year, that I wanted to show it to my sister, who was at first a bit sceptic. But after we did a free Duck Tour in the city and the water, she was also really charmed by the place.

The Duck Tour was fun. They have it in most cities by the water. It's city tours on amphibious vehicles that just go from bus to boat in no time. Well, in ten seconds really, as that's what it takes to get in the water. I had never done such a tour, so we got on one. For free. Being a tourguide and telling the company I will recommend these tours to others, helps of course. The tour guide we had was great fun! He was queer as fuck, but so much fun. He gave away cheap 'made in china' necklaces for the people who could answer questions correctly or the visitors who came the furtest. Of course we got a necklace for that last 'competition', although the couple next to us was from Dover, UK. Oh well. The guy was fun, I told him I'll use his jokes as well, but alas! I already have forgotten about them.

Portland is just this nice harbour city with lots of little arty boutiques and nice restaurants. Very touristy, but fun. My sister loves seafood, so we had to go eat LOBSTER of course. Something I don't like at all, but something my sis is crazy about. She enjoyed her lobster so much that she ended up looking like one in the evening. Reason: we had been eating outside in the sun and I swear, I never thought you could get a sun burn in Maine, but you can!

So Portland was nice and that was it for Maine, cos we headed straight to Quebec City for our next stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home