Monday, January 29, 2007

009 American Idol and the Strand

I stayed at home for the most of the day, watching some television, a very addictive thing in the states. There was this 60 minutes special on CNN about the harsh judgements of American Idol. I saw the two episode that they were referring to. Especially the auditions in Memphis and New York were hilarious! I thought that was the funniest tv of the year! I’ll see if I can add some you tube fragments. I’m not a fan of American Idol, BUT I do love the audition episodes. http://www.americanidol.com/videos/view/?vid=503

I headed to the city at around 6 pm or so and went shopping in Soho! Dangerous! I didn’t have much cash money with me, fortunately, but there were plenty of things I liked. I got of at Prince Street, walked a bit south, but then walked up north again along Broadway. There was this one t shirt I wanted to buy: ‘Can’t we all just get along’ with the symbol of the new religion (a mix of the Jewish/Christian/Muslim symbols). But then I thought that was a bit too PC.

I ended up at the Strand, which is the biggest bookstore in NYC. More than 18.000 books, that’s how they advertise. I had big expectations, but was a bit disappointed. It’s big, but De Slegte in Amsterdam isn’t that much smaller really. The Strands is a phenomenon though. You can find new books 20 percent cheaper than anywhere else. There are a lot of books, sure, but they have 20 copies of one book. If not more. They do have a lot of second hand book and I did spent 60 dollars on books and 90 minutes of my time there, but I just expected more of the biggest bookstore in NYC, the US and hence The World. I bought another book of Bill Bryson, a new 2007 guidebook of Belize, a book on travel writing, a book on life in the middle ages, … I also bought a gift for Jayte: a new biography of Elisabeth Taylor, one of his idols. The art/movie/music section is of course very big. After all this is New York. Tom, if you go to the store, check out the reference department. They have cool books you will like. Like a small dictionary which explains names of cities and areas. I didn’t have anything to put my books in, so I ended up buying a cool shoulder bag. I also bought a Strand t-shirt to wear at the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home