Monday, January 29, 2007

010 Stand Up Comedy

A friend of Jayte works for A&E, arts and entertainment. It’s a popular showbiz channel on television. He invited us to a vip table at Caroline’s, a comedy club on Broadway and 50th street. I liked the idea of going to a nyc comedy club, even though I had never heard of the star of the night, Paul Mooney.

The opener of the night was very funny. I guess I understood 90 of the jokes. I had some trouble knowing what she was referring too and her character is drunk so she mumbled a lot. She was fun though. I liked her a lot. Very cynical and sarcastic, although her victims were easy: Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, George W. Bush. I forgot the jokes, I forgot her name. But she was hilarious.

Paul Mooney on the other hand was more difficult to digest. He’s an African American who had issues with the ‘white folks’. The vast majority of the crowd was African American or Black American as you have to call them now and I guess he was on a roll talking bad about ‘the white folks’ as that got a lot of cheers. He didn’t really care that I was sitting in front of him. He never gave me any look. He was funny though as he didn’t only laugh with the white folk, but also with his fellow black guys (he clearly had a problem with Oprah Winfrey), the Chinese, the Mexicans. Too bad he didn’t laugh with the gays, the Jews, the Muslims and handicapped. He was pretty nasty though and I sensed a lot of frustration and anger in his jokes. Especially at the end, where he almost gave a political speech and noticed that the crowd wasn’t laughing anymore. Larry, the guy who works for A&E was going to confront him with that. At the end of the show, I really didn’t know if he wanted to be funny or if he really hated the ‘white folks’. All I know is that a white stand up comedian could never get away with a night black bashing.

He releases a new dvd: Jesus is black. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpnMdzEp7s&NR

Jayte took me to two of his favourite bars in Manhattan. I didn’t like them. They were empty (it was still freezing) and the music sucked big time. I expected a little bit more cool in New York. But I’m sure I went to the ‘wrong’ places. I so much hope I don’t have to work in June and can join my friends on their trip to NYC. I really love this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home