Wednesday, February 07, 2007

PR 6 San Juan

I visited the old city of San Juan twice. The first visit was a bit of a disappointment as I had fallen from a boardwalk looking up at the facades of the beautiful, colourful, hacienda houses. I put on some ice and thought I would be okay, but ended up walking way too much on it, making me have to rest and get back to the hotel way too early. But I finished my stay in Viejo San Juan and that was a nice farewell to Puerto Rico. I really liked Old San Juan: the houses, the doorways, the colours, the street life, the squares, the people, the fortresses, the views on the ocean, the cemetery, the chapels and the churches, the people, the statues that are spread all over the city, the big cruise ships that dock in the harbour, the history, the inner courts and again, the people. My imagination ran wild when I walked around in the city. I thought of the days when Columbus arrived, when the Spaniards fought the Dutch, when the pirates took hold of the city, … yeah that was cool. I also visited the Bacardi distillery across the bay. I didn’t have enough time though as I had to rush to the airport in time and it’s a rip off I you don’t go there with your local car. (there’s a ferry going across the bay, and a bus taking you there, but if you want to get there fast you have to rely on faux taxi drivers who take you there at ridiculous prices) You do get to taste several Bacardi rums and see how you can make the perfect cocktail. They have excellent flavours you can’t buy in Europe (yet)… like coco rum of course… the tour itself is free, it’s only getting there that is expensive. Go there by car! But that’s just something extra. San Juan is really nice, but small. You can visit it in an afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home